For current information regarding insurances and COVID-19: we are regularly updating this landing page as the situation progresses, please check here for guidance.
Face masks are essential, but loss or damage to your personal belongings doesn’t have to be
16 December 2020
With the COVID-19 pandemic, the recommendation to wear a face mask in public to prevent the spread of the virus is becoming more common and in places such as hospitals, shops and public transport, mandatory.
As a result, the loss or damage to glasses, earphones and hearing aids are on the up.
We've come up with a few tips to help keep your belongings safe and secure when wearing a face mask:
- Use the right face mask. Ideally, use a face mask with four strings which ties behind the head as opposed to the type with ear loops.
- Specifically for hearing aids, if using an ear loop face mask, make sure the loop fits to the outside of your aids in a way that the loop holds the aids against the head.
- Regularly check that your belongings are still in place when the mask is on. Before leaving anywhere, double check they are still in or round your ears.
- When removing the face mask, remove one side at a time as opposed to taking off both sides at once. Do this by using both hands. When the mask has been taken off, check that your earphones or hearing aids are still there.
- Take your mask off in a safe place where you can easily locate the your earphone or hearing aid if it does accidentally fall out.
- Before disposing of a mask or, before washing one, check your earphones or hearing aids aren’t tangled up in the straps.
- For glasses specifically, remove glasses upwards instead of forwards, slowly and whilst standing still.
This is a good time to review the level of cover for your personal belongings, to make sure you are insured for the full replacement cost of both if they are lost or damaged.
If you are unsure, please contact the team on 0208 891 4013 and we’ll be happy to help.
Categories: Employee Benefits & Healthcare
Sign up for the latest news
Subscribe to our email updates and latest news from the insurance world.