Storm Ciara is due to affect much of the UK overnight on Saturday and into Sunday.
Strong winds and rain are forecast and there’s the chance of travel disruption and damage to property.
If it’s safe to do so, check
that your roof is in good condition, replace or secure broken or missing tiles or slates
your aerial / satellite dish, make sure it is securely attached
for any gaps in the flashing (thin sheets of metal where chimneys join the roof or around edges) that could let water in
flat roofs, these usually need re-covering every five to ten years
gutters are clear of debris
nearby trees – are there any branches that could come loose and cause damage? Also consider moving any cars / bikes that are close to trees
any outdoor equipment or furniture such as trampolines – can these be moved or secured?
the condition of fences and gates as these are especially prone to damage by strong winds
boundary and other walls for any missing mortar or loose bricks
Problems following the weather
- If the storm has
- made your home unsafe or unsecure
- meant you’ve lost or may lose electricity or water supplies
- caused or is likely to cause further damage to the house or your contents please call the Home Emergency line – 0800 9179205
- If it isn’t an emergency situation, our claims team can help on 020 8891 9810 (9-5 Monday-Friday) or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your car’s been damaged, call the Royal and Sun Alliance claims team on 0345 071 2963 (9-5 Monday-Friday) or at other times 0800 096 4567
You can keep up-to-date with Storm Ciara by visiting metoffice.gov.uk.
I joined Sutton Winson in 2011 after managing claim teams in both insurers and brokers on Delegated Authority Schemes. I have been resposible for managing personal claims since joining and I enjoy training and coaching people to achieve their best in this vital part of the business, where we deliver on the promise of the policies we sell. I am also responsible for monitoring quality and compliance across the personal division to ensure we consistently demonstrate the highest standards in our service to clients.
I hold a degree in geography from Leeds and the Chartered Insurance Institude Certificate (Cert CII).