For current information regarding insurances and COVID-19: we are regularly updating this landing page as the situation progresses, please check here for guidance.

With only a few weeks left before the UK leaves the EU and a no-deal Brexit looking ever more likely, there will be some implications to both personal and business insurances...

Business Insurance for European operations

A number of our customers will have global policies which include their European operations. Up until now, it's been possible to issue these types of policies on an EU Freedom of Services basis. However, post 1st January 2021, we may have to arrange local broker and insurer representation. If this applies to you, your usual Sutton Winson Team will contact you.

If you're considering expanding your European presence as a result of Brexit, you may need to review your insurance cover to make sure you remain adequately insured. Please contact your usual Sutton Winson Team if you need to discuss any changes to your business.

Motor insurance – driving abroad

Currently, UK drivers can freely drive within the EU. All they need is a valid UK driving licence and appropriate motor insurance. If you're travelling within any EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia, Andorra or Liechtenstein on or after the 1st January 2021, you may need to contact your Sutton Winson Team at least 21 days before your trip (where possible). Alternatively, please call 0330 008 5555 or complete our contact form.

If there's a no deal outcome, you'll need a Green Card from your insurer – the good news is they no longer need to be printed on green paper! If you're not planning on driving within the above countries, you don't have to do anything. This also doesn't affect you if you hire a car where motor insurance is provided as part of the hire agreement.

Travel Insurance

If there is a no-deal Brexit, the UK will no longer form part of the EEC medical agreement, commonly referred to as E111. This will mean it is very important for you to have travel insurance in place as E111 can no longer be relied upon to meet medical expenses costs.

Private homes overseas

If you're a UK domiciled resident with an overseas home, you'll not be affected by buying insurance through a UK insurer. However, if you do acquire overseas residency, the situation could be different and we would ask you to contact your usual Sutton Winson Team.

Life and Private Medical Insurance

Having spoken with key insurers, claims payments remain unchanged in the event of a hard Brexit. However, if the position does change, your usual Sutton Winson Team will contact you.

Other considerations

The rules for trading, driving and travelling in the EU will change as of 1st January 2021. We recommend you regularly check the website to keep up-to-date with developments.

Got a question?

Contact your usual Sutton Winson team.

Alternatively call 0330 008 5555 or complete our contact form.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.