Skip to content

COVID-19 Risk Assessment

We also have some chargeable services that will support you. It's a requirement from the UK Government that a COVID-19 Risk Assessment is undertaken in the workplace before re-opening.

You might need help in:

  • Completing a COVID-19 Risk Assessment
  • Drafting a COVID-19 Health and Safety Policy

We can also assist with year-round Health & Safety telephone/e-mail support.

To discuss our Risk Management Services, please contact Martin Coppard on 01444 251162.

The UK Government has released a number of guides for businesses across various industry sectors. These relate to making workplaces as safe as possible when employees return.

These guides, plus further information, can be found here.

The following advice provides a general overview about various business insurances and what impact COVID-19 currently has on the cover provided. As our clients have a variety of different insurances, which are placed with a number of different insurers, we are unable to comment on the exact stance of each about COVID-19, as this varies.

Full cover details are contained in your policy documents, but we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Looking for our previous guidance?

For advice we’ve previously given about various business insurances since March 2020, click here.

Your liability insurance covers your employees working from home. We suggest that employers and their staff check their home insurance policies, to make sure home working is permitted - it’s likely to be, unless any Third Parties will be visiting or manual work is being done.

Health & Safety

Health and Safety responsibilities to home and lone workers are unchanged. Risk assessments are still needed and you’re responsible for the safety of the equipment you supply.

It’s unreasonable (and against health advice) to expect your Health and Safety personnel to visit every homeworker. Completion of a standard questionnaire or some form of online assessment could be considered reasonable.

You also still need to comply with the Working Time Directive.

Data Protection

GDPR, general data and privacy protection remains important and employees need to be reminded of their obligations. Simple measures include:

  • Remembering to lock the screen on their laptops.
  • Securely filing or locking away paperwork.

Your IT team should have considered the use of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), password protected access to systems, cloud security and general standards of encryption. It’s particularly important to maintain cyber security resilience given that a significant number of cyber/data protection claims arise from unsecured VPNs.

Check out our article about the cyber security risks of homeworking here.

Information correct as of: 01/04/2020

If you have organised an event it would be understandable that you may wish to cancel it over fears of contracting the virus.

Standard event cancellation policies contain an infectious disease exclusion and unless specific cover has been purchased, it’s likely any costs incurred will not be insured. Even in circumstances where specific cover has been purchased, it will still be necessary for the venue to be directly affected by an outbreak.

Information correct as of: 19/03/2020


Private Medical Insurance

Property Damage & Unoccupied Premises

Yes. For example, you may now be:

  • Offering a delivery service
  • Manufacturing different types of goods
  • Working on different types of sites

Your insurers need to be made aware of these types of things. Claims may not be paid if your business is different to the one they think they are insuring.

Information correct as of: 15/05/2020

Travel Insurance

This will depend on your insurer. Insurance risks remain but some are offering small refunds across certain types of policy.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) are advising insurers to review and support consumers where they can.

The full impact of COVID-19 is still unknown but please tell us about changes as and when they happen. Refunds may be considered for:

  • Reduced turnover or wageroll
  • Vehicles declared off road
  • Reduced sums insured or limits
  • Cancelled covers

You may have increased risks e.g. additional equipment for homeworkers or extra buffer stock.

Please contact your usual Sutton Winson team if you have any questions around this.

Information correct as of: 15/05/2020

No and we never have done.

Information correct as of: 15/05/2020

Event Cancellation


people have died from COVID-19


people confirmed positive for COVID-19


people have been tested for COVID-19

If you have any other specific questions about your business insurance, please speak with your usual Sutton Winson team.

Event Cancellation

Useful links

  • For guidance proving the presence of COVID-19 in a particular area, based on the High Court’s judgment and declarations, click here to view the FCA's guidance.

  • For checking whether your insurance policy may cover business interruption losses due to COVID-19, click here to use the FCA's policy checker.

  • For the latest public information from the UK Government click here

  • For health advice and guidance from the NHS click here

  • For up-to-date travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) click here

  • For the most recent information from the World Health Organisation (WHO) click here

  • For further information about UK Government support for businesses, click here

Healthcare providers are currently treating COVID-19 like any other eligible respiratory illness which would be covered under your healthcare policy.

Information correct as of: 19/03/2020

Firstly, you should always follow the advice given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), local (overseas)/UK health authorities and, if abroad, the local British Embassy. 

FCO advice can be found at  

Secondly, contact your travel provider (airline/hotel/tour operator/etc) to discuss options such as refunds, amendments or postponements.

If you are currently at home but have booked a trip

Now that the FCO has issued advice against all non-essential travel for the next 30 days (which is likely to be extended) you may have to cancel or re-organise a booked trip. 

Your first port of call should be your travel provider(s) (airline, hotel, train company, etc) to see if you can obtain a refund or amend your travel plans.

Next speak with your credit card provider (if the trip was booked using a credit card, and the amount paid was over £100) as you should be able to claim under Article 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Finally, speak with your travel insurance claims team (you’ll find their details in your policy wording).  Any claim made would be subject to the policy terms and conditions, when the policy was purchased and when the trip was booked.

Information correct as of: 19/03/2020


If you don’t already pay in instalments

  • We may be able to offer payment over 10 months with a low interest rate, subject to credit approval.
  • Your insurers may offer low or no interest monthly direct debits.

These options are only available at renewal or the start of a policy.

Premium saving cover adjustments might be possible

Insurers or premium finance companies may offer adjustments to instalments or payment holidays. Each case will be considered on its own merits.


If you find that you can't meet your obligations, please speak with us as soon as possible. Please don't ask your bank to cancel direct debits, as this may affect your insurance cover and your credit history.

Information correct as of: 15/05/2020


You may still have assets and liabilities that need insuring, for example:

If you own a property;

  • You will still be liable for damage or injury caused by the property.
  • The building needs to remain insured against damage, especially if there’s an interested party (e.g. mortgage).

If you lease a property;

  • You’ll need to check your lease and the insurance responsibilities you have under it.

If you have stock or machinery and plant etc.

  • The theft and damage risk is still there.
  • You may have obligations to insure imposed by finance companies. 

You may also have liabilities that require continuing cover, after the work has finished.

Information correct as of: 15/05/2020

Property Damage

Currently COVID-19 is not covered under a property damage policy.

Portable Computer Equipment

Your current cover may already include portable computer equipment used away from the office. Please check the position with us and tell us about any significant changes or increases (e.g. you are going to buy a large amount of new laptops).

Unoccupied Premises

A lot of premises are now and will be unoccupied, which brings significant insurance implications.

Most property policies (Buildings, Contents, Stock, Equipment, Plant etc.) stipulate that the insurer should be notified about unoccupancy immediately. Failure to do so could invalidate your insurance.

Full cover will remain in place for a set period (e.g. 30 days) but this varies per insurer. Some are as little as 7 days. After that, insurers may reduce cover, impose additional conditions or charge an additional premium.

We are working closely with Insurers in an effort to make sure they are reasonable.

If you have had to leave your premises unoccupied, please make sure we are told as soon as possible. All security and safety measures must be put into operation and we recommend that you check on the property regularly (once a week), providing it is safe to do so.

Information correct as of: 01/04/2020

Useful Links


If you have organised an event it would be understandable that you may wish to cancel it over fears of contracting the virus. However, as it currently stands, it’s unlikely that you will receive reimbursement from insurers unless a venue has been directly affected by an outbreak of the virus.

It’s also worth mentioning that event cancellation policies, as standard, contain an infectious disease exclusion and unless specific coverage has been purchased, it’s likely any costs incurred will be not be covered.

Information last updated: 11/03/2020

Scroll to top